The University of Ghana Business School (UGBS), in partnership with Africagrowth Institute (AGI), is presenting an MSc Development Finance programme. The degree is delivered at the UGBS, one of Africa’s premier business schools.
Most universities around the world offer degrees in key business disciplines including accounting, engineering, medicine and economics. Unlike the disciplines of accounting, engineering, medicine and economics, the professional discipline of development finance is still in its infancy. This very worrying considering that development finance provides vital support structures in financial management applications within governments, the private sector institutions, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and the wider emerging markets.
Rationale for the Degree
Development finance, as a professional discipline, is widely practiced in major development finance institutions, including major development banks, World Bank, IMF, the UN organs, regional and other country-specific development finance institutions, public and private sector institutions, other financial and non-financial organisations, major international foundations and NGOs. All central governments around the world frequently use development finance, as a professional discipline, for the design and implementation of development policies. Despite the importance of the subject, there is only one African university, which offers a Master of Development Finance degree. The inter-university programme in development finance aims to ensure that Africa produces enough development finance experts to meet its development needs of the continent.
Minimum Entry Requirements
• A good first degree (at least Second Class Lower Division) in Finance, Economics, Commerce, Accounting, or other finance related degrees or;
• A good first degree in other non-finance related discipline (e.g. Engineering, IT, Science, and Social Science) from a recognised University with at least 3 years work experience in finance related work.
Duration of Degree
The degree is offered as a one-year full-time programme.
Each student will be required to write a project work in one of the following format:
(a) Writing and analyzing a work-related case study;
(b) Writing an essay-type scientific report which delves deeply into a particular issue of interest to the student;
(c) Writing of a journal article related to one or more of the modules on the degree programme.
The project work or research report will be awarded a credit value in line with the credit system of University of Ghana.
Who Should Apply?
• Development Finance Practitioners;
• Civil Servants;
• Staff of Development Finance Institutions;
• Staff of Other Financial Institutions;
• Staff of NGOs;
• Staff in the Private Sector
• Issues in Development Finance
• Micro-enterprise Finance
• Quantitative Techniques
• Research Skills for Development
• International Finance for Development
• Money and Banking
• Project Finance
• Monitoring & Evaluation
• Financial Evaluation
• International Trade Policies
• Global Financial Architecture
• Financial Services Regulation
• Project Management
• Corporate Finance and Investment
• Corporate Governance
• Finance, Economic Growth and Development
• Sovereign Debt Management
• Public Sector Finance
• Risk Management
For more information on the programme, contact one of the following:
Dr. Charles K. D. Adjasi
Head, Department of Finance
University of Ghana Business School
P. O. Box 78